We are keeping all of the country's veterans on our minds today - including our four-legged service members. Military Working Dogs provide so much for the US Armed Forces, in ways many of us might not even realize. We wanted to share a little bit about the incredible dogs who are serving our country, and ways you can help them while they're on duty, and when they've finished their missions.
YOU MIGHT NOT KNOW...
- About 2,500 dogs are in active duty today, and 700 of those four-legged service members are deployed overseas, according to Barkpost.com.
- Military dogs were officially recognized as service members during World War II, but have been in combat with US soldiers in every major conflict our country has faced.
- These dogs are highly trained for a number of different purposes - including bomb/weapon detection and tracking - and only about 50% of the dogs who enter military training graduate into the service.
- Several breeds excel as military members, including German Shepherds, Labrador Retrievers, and Belgian Malinois.
- After retirement, their handlers and their families have the opportunity to bring their four-legged partners home. If that's not possible, law enforcement departments are next in line to adopt these service dogs, and then adoptive families.
HOW YOU CAN HELP
Just like our human service members, military dogs like to get care packages, too! Barkpost.com also provides a list of organizations dedicated to getting dogs in service the items they need while deployed. We also have some of the direct links below to help you get started:
We are so excited to share that we'll be a part of the Mission K9 Rescue Tribute Gala this Saturday, November 14th, at the Four Points by Sharaton in Wakefield. The evening is all about supporting and raising funds for our military and contract working dogs, and we'd love for you to come!
Interested? Please email Brittany at Hello@AudreysRescueAngels.org for more details! We look forward to seeing you Saturday!
THANK YOU to our military members, both two-legged and four!