The holiday season is right around the corner, and to kick us off, Halloween is just three days away! For humans, that means getting all dressed up, enjoying some spooky activities, and collecting as many sweet treats as possible. One thing we can't forget about though - our pets! They'll want to get in on the fun, so we've got a few tips from the ASPCA and Humane Society to help keep them (and you) safe and happy on Halloween night.
TIPS AND TWEAKS
1) Curb the candy - We might only have problems when we overdo it with the Halloween treats, but having ANY candy can be dangerous for pets. Keep all of the treats (especially chocolate!) out of your four-legged friend's reach. If they get into something, be sure to call your vet for the Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435.
2) Costume Fun? - Let's face it, animals in costumes are adorable. Keeping your pets comfortable and safe is key, though. If you do decide to dress your dog or cat up, make sure they can still move freely and be sure to check for any dangerous pieces they could choke on. Remember, MOST animals would rather just go as themselves! Don't push it.
3) Decoration Dangers - Everyone loves festive yards and glowing jack-o-lanterns, but they can pose a threat to our pets. Keep a close eye on your animals whenever fire - even candles - are nearby, and keep things like cords and small items out of reach.
4) Door Dash - It's always exciting when trick-or-treaters knock on the door, but it's also a perfect opportunity for your pets to make a run for it. If you're planning on passing out candy, keep your pets in a quiet, safe room in your home. They won't be scared of all of the spooky costumes, and you won't have to worry about chasing after them.
5) Leash Patrol - If you do plan to bring your pet out on Halloween night, don't forget your leash! Keeping your pet close will help you keep her from harm, and her from causing any harm. It's likely to be busy and a bit scary out, though, so we suggest keeping your four-legged buddies in for the night.
DOG-FRIENDLY HALLOWEEN FUN
What's that? You still want to have some Halloween fun with your pup? We've got just the event!
Our friends at Brix Wine Shop in the South End are hosting a Halloween Wine Tasting for dog owners and dog lovers.
When: October 31st from 1:00-4:00 p.m.
We'd love to see your Halloween photos, so send them our way! Be safe, have fun, and Happy Halloween!